Brilliant Banana Bread
As a kid, I always looked forward to my aunt’s chocolate chip banana bread. This sweet treat soon became a favorite of mine, but I knew something that delicious could not be good for you. Over the past couple of years I have perfected my own banana bread recipe using healthy substitutes that won’t break a healthy diet.
This recipe is not only great for those who are diet-conscious, but also for parents who are looking for a healthier alternative for their kids. Parents, if you have trouble getting your kids to eat vegetables, this is a great way to sneak them into their diet. For those who are gluten-free, substitute the whole wheat flour with oat flour in the same measurement listed.
Photo Credit: via Flickr Neil Conway
Makes 12 servings
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 egg whites
- 5 ounces plain Greek yogurt, non-fat
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp butter (I use light extra virgin olive oil spread)
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup Stevia (other sugar baking blends are fine)
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup semi-sweet dark chocolate chips or carob chips
Zucchini, Carrot, Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Spray an 8 ½ X 4 ½ loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Mash bananas in a small bowl
4. In a large mixing bowl, blend butter, yogurt, vanilla, Stevia and honey until creamy.
5. Add egg whites, mashed bananas, grated zucchini and shredded carrots to the wet ingredients and beat with a mixer on high for 2 minutes.
6. In a separate medium sized bowl, blend the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
7. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients while mixing. Make sure the ingredients are well-blended.
8. Fold in the dark chocolate chips or carob chips to the batter.
9. Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
10. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the center is cooked. Test if the loaf is done by inserting a knife into the middle of the loaf, if the knife comes out clean (minus the melted chocolate), then the banana bread is done. If it is not done, add 2 minutes onto the cooking time and reassess until the knife comes out clean.
Nutrition Information per one serving (makes 12 servings):