Is Radon in Your Home Affecting Your Health?

| 2 min read

radon in home
There is a serious danger affecting one out of every eight homes in Michigan: radon gas. Radon, which is created naturally when uranium in soil breaks down, can enter your home through cracks in solid floors and walls, construction joints, gaps in suspended floors and other easily fixable home issues. If it builds up inside your home, it can be lethal. In fact, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer, causing 21,000 deaths a year.
Since radon is invisible, has no smell and causes no warning signs like headaches or skin rashes, the only way to tell if your home’s levels are too high is by testing your indoor air.
How do the tests work?
There are two types of radon tests: passive and active. Passive devices don’t require electrical power and use things like charcoal or plastic film to trap radon particles. These particles are then examined in a laboratory to determine if radon is present and at what level. Many radon testing professionals will use what’s called an active device, which is plugged in and it continually monitors the level of radon in your home.
Where can you get a test?
Home radon testing kits are available at Lowe’s, Home Depot and other home improvement stores and cost around $10. Follow the directions and mail it to a lab for analysis (some have the lab testing fee built in while others require an additional payment of up to $30). Check out this guide for where to buy a radon test kit in your area.
How often do you need to test?
Radon should be tested every couple of years, or more frequently if your home goes through any renovations or significant changes. Radon is more likely to enter your home through your basement, so if you spend a majority of your time down there, you should test for radon more frequently.
If you’re concerned about other ways your house might be affecting your health, check out these other blogs:
Photo credit: Porsche Brosseau

A Healthier Michigan is sponsored by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, a nonprofit, independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association.
No Personal Healthcare Advice or Other Advice
This Web site provides general educational information on health-related issues and provides access to health-related resources for the convenience of our users. This site and its health-related information and resources are not a substitute for professional medical advice or for the care that patients receive from their physicians or other health care providers.
This site and its health-related information resources are not meant to be the practice of medicine, the practice of nursing, or to carry out any professional health care advice or service in the state where you live. Nothing in this Web site is to be used for medical or nursing diagnosis or professional treatment.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other licensed health care provider. Always consult your health care provider before beginning any new treatment, or if you have any questions regarding a health condition. You should not disregard medical advice, or delay seeking medical advice, because of something you read in this site.