MSU vs. U of M Bell Pepper Cups
Get in the game day rivalry spirit with these bell pepper cups. Healthy tailgating eating can be difficult, but with an easy pick of your team’s color, your taste buds will be satisfied. These peppers are easy to bring to your tailgate, as you can pack them in the slow cooker and they will be ready to serve as soon as you get there.
The peppers are low in calories and loaded with good nutrition. All varieties are excellent sources of vitamins A and C, potassium, folic acid and fiber. Instead of adding extra carbs and calories to your taco-inspired meal, the peppers are a great alternative.
Whether you are a Spartan or Wolverine, you and your tailgating guests will be sure to love them!
Photo Credit: Tony Faiola
- 1 lb. extra lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large zucchini, shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15.25 oz.) of white beans
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 can (15.25 oz.) petite diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 1 can of white beans, drained
- 1 (small) can green chiles
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 package taco seasoning (1.25 ounces)
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
Green Bell Pepper Cups with Turkey, Zucchini, White Beans and Quinoa
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the onions and turkey for 5-8 minutes, so there is no longer any pink. Put into the slow cooker.
2. Add the remaining ingredients into slow cooker. Cook on low for 2-4 hours until quinoa is done. Watch out for quinoa getting mushy. Use to fill green pepper cups and add favorite toppings. Enjoy! Go Green!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cans corn, drained
- 2 cans (15.25 oz.) black beans, drained
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (10 oz.) mild red enchilada sauce
- 1 package (1.25 oz.) taco seasoning
Yellow (Maize) Bell Pepper Cups with Black Beans, Corn and Quinoa
1. In a large crock pot add the quinoa, chicken broth, corn, black beans, garlic, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, taco seasoning.
2. Stir. Cover and cook on high 2.5 hours to 4 hours depending on the heat of your slow cooker.
3. Important notes with cooking quinoa in slow cooker: slow cookers cook at different temperatures! You'll want to watch this carefully if you have a slow cooker that runs hot so the quinoa doesn't get mushy. This recipe doesn't work on low because quinoa will get mushy when cooked on low for long time periods.
4. When quinoa is cooked through, serve in yellow bell pepper cup and add favorite toppings. Enjoy! Go Blue!