Homemade Chocolate Hazelnut Spread Recipe
The most well-known chocolate hazelnut spread is known as Nutella. It can be purchased at most groceries stores, but be warned that it is full of added sugars and modified palm oils. These ingredients add extra empty calories and saturated fat.
If you love the taste of Nutella, you must try this recipe to make your own healthier homemade chocolate hazelnut spread. It is so good.
Photo credit: Marco Verch (recipe below not pictured)
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 12 oz. of dark chocolate chips or bar, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup of honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 1/8 tsp. salt
Homemade Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spread hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast for about 10 minutes or until hazelnuts are slightly browned.
3. Wrap the nuts in clean kitchen towel and rub vigorously to loosen skin. Remove skin from hazelnuts.
4. Put chocolate in microwave-safe bowl and heat in 15-second bursts stirring each time, until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Allow to cool.
5. Use a food processor or blender to blend hazelnuts into a paste.
6. Add all other ingredients, except melted chocolate and blend until smooth.
7. Add melted chocolate and blend thoroughly. Will be slightly warm.
8. Enjoy! Store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.