Your All-In-One Healthy Holiday Survival Guide
The holiday season tends to be anything but healthy—stressful family interactions, indulgent food and packed schedules that leave little time for healthy habits. We pulled together our best tips from our Pinterest page, giving you the healthiest holidays yet without losing any of the festivity or fun.
- Your goal: to stay the same weight you are now
It’s totally possible to treat yourself to your favorite seasonal dishes and desserts without putting on pounds. The key is eating well the majority of the time so you can indulge in your favorite food without guilt.
- Select your favorite seasonal dish, drink or treat and focus on enjoying it instead of eating everything.
- Learn how to read labels, conquer nighttime cravings and avoid temptation at the grocery store.
- Another idea: Take the kids or your dog for a winter walk after eating your holiday meal—you’ll burn calories and help your body start digesting that big meal.
- Your goal: to trick yourself into eating well: Traditional holiday dishes can be easily turned into healthier meals without your taste buds knowing. Substitute Greek yogurt for oil when baking, whip up a healthier dip for your party veggie tray and make healthy swaps throughout your day. Have a meat eater you need to fool? Use one of these leaner options that will deliver the same great taste without the added fat and calories.
- Your goal: to get everyone to enjoy family time: Holiday family bonding can sometimes feel impossible to achieve, so make sure to take advantage of the wintry activities in Michigan. More of an indoor crowd? Here are fun ways to get your kids active without braving the cold. And if you have to hit the road, make sure to play some fun car games!
- Your goal: to fit in fitness: There’s no need to wait for the new year to exercise—just slip in a few activities throughout the week. You can try out some bodyweight moves at home, go on a fun run, hit the trails for a solo, peaceful hike or grab your favorite family member or friend and try some of these partner moves.
- Your goal: to unwind and feel less stressed: Sometimes the hardest thing to do this time of year is to take a moment and relax. Try this combination to get you more peaceful: Put down your phone, focus on some uplifting quotes, be kind to yourself and get a good night’s sleep. You’ll wake up refreshed and ready to conquer the day.
How are you planning on having a healthier holiday? Share with us and explore more of our tips with these blogs:
- Festive and Healthy: Holiday Cookies Go From Naughty to Nice
- Healthy Takes on Holiday Dishes
- This Year, Start Some New, Healthy Holiday Traditions
Photo credit: Korona Lacasse