Quinoa: Enjoy It for Breakfast too with this Easy Recipe
Recently, I posted a picture on my FaceBook page of this delicious quinoa egg bake that I made for breakfast. Since quite a few people asked for the recipe, I thought it would be a great idea to share it with all of you. This recipe is very simple to make and you can choose the vegetables you would like to add to it. The quinoa settles to the bottom to make a healthy and soft crust for the egg bake. It is nice because not only does it add good nutrition, but it also has a nice texture. Best part, you don’t even have to cook the quinoa beforehand because it bakes in the oven all at once.
My family really enjoyed this recipe and it was super easy to make. You can see how versatile it can be to add your favorite vegetables to this egg bake. Let me know if you try it and how you created your own healthy and delicious breakfast.
Photo Credit: Tom Derocha
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained well
6 egg whites
1 1/2 cups of skim milk
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon chopped chives
1 Tablespoon chopped basil
1 1/2 cups kale, cleaned, dried and roughly chopped
2-3 tomatoes cleaned and chopped
1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
Quinoa Egg Bake
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use cooking spray to coat 9x9 baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, milk, garlic, salt, pepper, basil, chives and quinoa. Then stir in kale and tomatoes.
3. Pour the entire mixture into the prepared dish.
4. Cover tightly with foil and gently shake so that the quinoa settles to the bottom evenly.
5. Bake for about 45 minutes, so it is just set.
6. Remove the foil and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Continue baking uncovered, until cheese becomes golden and crisp, about 10-15 minutes.
7. Cool briefly then serve. Enjoy!