Make Movie Night Healthier with Stove Top Popcorn
| 2 min read
Besides being an essential part of the movie watching experience, popcorn can also be a healthy snack. Although it’s easy to just throw a popcorn bag in the microwave, stove top popcorn is a healthy alternative that can be just as easy and delicious.
All you need is two ingredients, a pot and a few minutes to spare before you push play on your favorite movie.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2-3 TBSP coconut oil
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- Heat 2-3 TBSP coconut oil in a large covered pot or deep saucepan over medium heat.
- Add two single popcorn kernels to the pot and wait, listening for them to them pop. Once they are popped, it means the oil is ready and hot.
- Add the rest of your popcorn kernels in an even layer covering the bottom of the pot.
- Cover your pot with a lid and remove from heat for 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds, place the pot back on the stove leaving the lid slightly ajar as the pot should have a little bit of ventilation.
- You will begin to hear the kernels popping. As they do, gently shake the pot occasionally.
- When you hear the popping slow down, remove from the heat and let the last of the popcorn finish popping.
- Once the popping stops completely, empty your popcorn into a large bowl and enjoy!
For more healthy alternatives to some of your favorite foods, check out these blogs:
Photo Credit: Ginny