Purple Power Salad with Blueberries Recipe
This salad will be a crowd hit at your next get-together. The purple hue is intriguing and the flavor is unique and delicious.Not only is this side dish a creative addition, it’s healthy, too!
The blueberries are packed with phytonutrients and antioxidants that can reduce the risk of developing cancer, improve heart health and decrease inflammation. The red cabbage is not only low in calories, but it also boosts the immune system with high amounts of vitamin C and helps to protect you from free radicals that can cause signs of aging. The surprise of this dish is the purple carrots, which are a sweet, fiber-filled vegetable that can lower the risk of cardiovascular disease and improve vision.
Give this recipe a try and let us know in the comments if you liked it.
If you enjoyed this blog, you may also like:
Photo credit: A Healthier Michigan
For the dressing:
- 3 Tbsp. cold-pressed olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. of honey or maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- Pinch cayenne (optional)
- 2 tsp. rose water (optional)
- Sea salt to taste
For the salad:
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 red cabbage
- 1 cup dried mission figs, chopped
- 1 bunch purple carrots
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped mint (leaves only)
Purple Power Salad
1. Whisk all dressing ingredients together and set aside.
2. Using a mandolin or very sharp knife, slice the cabbage as thinly as possible and place in a large bowl.
3. Slice the carrots into rounds, or as desired, and add to the bowl with the cabbage.
4. Wash the herbs well and spin dry. Dice the parsley (including the stems) and the leaves of the mint and add to the bowl with the carrots and cabbage.
5. In a dry skillet over medium heat, lightly toast the pumpkin seeds until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
6. Pour dressing over the veggies and herbs and toss well to coat. Add pumpkin seeds and fold to combine. Season to taste (the salad may need more salt at this point). Let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes, toss before serving. Top with blueberries and figs. Enjoy!