Pack a Healthier Sandwich
Sometimes, a simple sandwich just sounds good. They’re quick, easy and the perfect option to pack in your lunch bag if you’re trying to avoid eating out. The choices are endless and can go far beyond a standard PB&J.
Whether it’s swapping out bread for a less carb-heavy wrap or lettuce or adding unique and antioxidant-packed ingredients such as berries and Greek yogurt, we’ve compiled a list of easy and healthy sandwich options perfect for every sweet and savory tooth. They take on many different shapes, sizes and formats – hello, canapes – but they’re all delicious.
Photo credit: A Healthier Michigan
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast and/or boneless, skinless chicken thighs or a mixture
- 1 red bell pepper cored and chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup of shredded carrots (about 1 medium carrot)
- ½ cup frozen edamame beans
- 4 oz. of sliced water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 8 oz. of reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. reduced sodium teriyaki sauce
- ½ tsp. freshly ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup of brown rice or quinoa or mix, already cooked
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 12 leaves of butterhead or iceberg lettuce
- Asian chili sauce (optional)
Slow Cooker Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
1. Add chicken, bell pepper, yellow onion, carrots, edamame, water chestnuts, chicken broth, garlic, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, ginger, salt and pepper into slow cooker.
2. Cook on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2-2.5 hours
3. Strain the mixture and shred the chicken. Stir in rice/quinoa, hoisin sauce and green onions.
4. Serve warm with lettuce wraps and Asian chili sauce. Enjoy!
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 10-12 slices of turkey bacon
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread or sprouted grain bread
- 2-4 oz. of fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 whole ripe peach, pitted and cut into 1/4 –inch wedges
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
Peach, Bacon and Smoked Mozarella Panini
1. Stir balsamic vinegar and honey together in a small saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the vinegar mixture has reduced to 1/3 cup, about 10 minutes. Set the balsamic reduction aside to cool.
2. Weave the bacon into a square or “bacon blanket". Microwave, bake or fry turkey bacon until crisp. Transfer it to a plate lined with a paper towel or brown paper to briefly drain.
3. Arrange sandwich with cheese, peaches, bacon blanket and spinach, and drizzle some of the balsamic reduction on arranged foods before placing the top slice on sandwich.
4. If desired, one may warm sandwich through with a panini press or can create a similar effect by warming via a grill pan on the stove. Serve warm and enjoy!
- Seasonal Berries, chopped
- Whole wheat English muffin
- 1 (4 0z.) package of low-fat whipped cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp. Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract or almond extract
Berry Scone Canapes
1. Mix all ingredients together except berries and English muffin.
2. Spread cream cheese mixture on English muffin and then place berries on top of one half.
3. Place other half on top and cut into desired canape shape. Enjoy!
- Green spinach tortillas
- Slices of mozzarella cheese
- Tomato, slices or sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Optional: Add favorite lunch meat, such as salami, pancetta, ham or turkey
- Yellow bell pepper (for the star)
Healthy Holiday Tree Wraps
1. Spread pesto on a green tortilla. Place slices of cheese and tomato (optional lunch meat) as well. Wrap tightly.
2. Cut wrap into cylindrical pieces. Stack wrap pieces into holiday tree.
3. Cut a star shape out of yellow bell pepper. Place on top. Serve and enjoy!
- 4-6 slices of turkey bacon
- 2 slices of whole grain bread
- 1-2 Tbsp. chevre, at room temperature
- 8 cherries, pitted and halved
- 1-3 leaves of lettuce or a small handful of arugula or your preferred leafy green
BLC - Bacon, Lettuce and Cherry Sandwich
1. Weave the bacon into a square or “bacon blanket". Microwave, bake or fry turkey bacon until crisp. Transfer it to a plate lined with a paper towel or brown paper to briefly drain.
2. While the bacon is frying, lightly toast your bread. Spread half of the chevre on each slice of bread, while the bread is warm.
3. Carefully arrange your cherry halves on top of the chevre on one slice of bread, then add the bacon blanket and finally add your leafy green of choice. Top with the other piece of toasted bread. Serve immediately.