Healthy Homemade Broccoli Slaw Recipe
When preparing broccoli, we often chop and cook the heads of broccoli and toss the stems into the garbage. Food waste takes up a significant amount of space in landfills and contributes to higher greenhouse gas emissions. The methane produced by food in landfills is nearly 23 times as potent as carbon dioxide in trapping heat within our atmosphere. Instead of tossing the extras in the trash, you can use those remnants to make this broccoli slaw.
This recipe is super easy and makes for a great lunch or side dish. Just peel, slice paper thin and add the additional ingredients for this recipe. Cores and stems tend to be more bitter than the florets, so finishing the dishes with a flavorful dressing can help balance the flavors.
Photo Credit: Mike Miller, A Healthier Michigan
- 2 cups broccoli stems, shredded or thinly sliced
- 1-2 cup shredded or julienned carrots
- 2 cups of cabbage, finely sliced or shredded
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onions
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp. dill weed
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1 cup sliced almonds
Healthy Broccoli Slaw
1. Place the broccoli, carrots, cabbage and onions in a large bowl. Combine thoroughly.
2. In a shaker container with lid or shaker cup, combine the olive oil, vinegar and all the spices. Shake well.
3. Pour the dressing over the vegetables. Stir fully to coat.
4. Mix in sliced almonds right before serving. Enjoy!