Healthier Holiday Dessert Idea: Quick Baked Pears
Instead of spending a ton of time making a decadent dessert, this quick and easy recipe will still have everyone’s taste buds thrilled after one bite. These baked pears are a great healthy dessert option to serve after Thanksgiving or any holiday dinner. The cinnamon, granola and cranberries pair nicely with the juicy pears for a seasonal, guilt-free flavor.
With a wide variety to choose from, pears are in season throughout the fall and winter months. Many desserts lack any nutrients or health benefits while this one is full of fiber, vitamins and minerals.
Photo Credit: A Healthier Michigan
- 2 large pears
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or dried fruit mixture of your choice
- 1/4 cup low-fat granola
- Vanilla frozen yogurt or low-fat whipped cream – optional
Quick Baked Pears
1. Cut in half lengthwise. Remove core and seeds, creating a hollow space. Try using a melon baller or grapefruit spoon.
2. Place pear halves, with hollowed core sides up, in a glass pie plate. Combine sugar and cinnamon with apple juice until sugar is dissolved. Carefully spoon mixture evenly and spread along each pear half.
3. Combine dried fruit and granola; mound into hollows of the pear halves. Pour the apple juice in and around pear halves. Cover dish loosely with wax paper.
4. Cook in microwave on HIGH 6-8 minutes or until the pears are tender when pierced with a knife. Let stand in the dish 5 minutes. You can also bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees F. Use a large spoon to transfer the pears to serving plates.
5. Drizzle juices from pie plate over pears and serve with frozen yogurt or whipped cream. Enjoy!