Pause the Rat Race: This Simple Mindfulness Technique Can Help
Wake up. Morning routine. Work. Lunch (at your desk). Afternoon break (maybe). Run after-work errands. Make dinner. Clean up. Go to bed.
Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
If your life feels like a never-ending loop, with too many demands and too little joy, it’s time to hit the pause button.
This video demonstrates a simple technique that can help you reduce your stress and help you feel more connected and joyful about your day-to-day obligations.
If you can’t watch right now, here’s how to put a mindful pause in your day:
- When you feel overwhelmed, stop. Pause.
- Slow down your breathing.
- Tune in and focus on what you’re doing in the moment.
- Pair mindful pauses with activities that you regularly do during the day. Pause while you sip your coffee or when you pull into your driveway at night.
Tiny shifts like this can lead to big changes in how satisfied you are with the daily grind.
How do you infuse moments of calm into your busy days? Share your tips in the comments.
If you enjoyed this post, you might also like:
- How to Get a Better Handle on Your Stress
- The Surprising Connection Between Stress and Your Heart Health
- Top 3 Reasons You Should Be Lifting Weights to Beat Stress
Editor’s note: This video is part of a research project conducted by the University of Michigan School of Public Health, led by Dr. Daniel Eisenberg, with funding provided by the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation. The video mentions an employee assistance program – talk to your employer’s human resources representative to see what’s available at your workplace.
Photo credit: vidrio