Strong to the Finish: 6 Good Reasons to Eat More Spinach
Spring is time for a whole new crop of tender vegetables, of which spinach is a standout. This leafy vegetable at some point became the poster child for what children everywhere thought was gross about green vegetables, which is a pity: As Popeye well knows, spinach is a nutritional powerhouse that not only has been shown to boost your muscle power, but tastes great.
Here are my six reasons you should eat more of it:
- Very low in calories and helps with weight-loss goals
- Filled with fiber for good gastrointestinal health and to keep you regular
- High in vitamins A and C, which make it good for immunity, skin, eyes and general health
- Good source of calcium without being a dairy product
- Delicious raw or cooked; spinach can be transformed easily to be used in salads, soups, pastas, main entrees, smoothies and even other desserts
- Helps reduce blood pressure and LDL (the “bad” cholesterol), so it’s good for your heart health
It certainly worked for Popeye:
What’s your favorite way to eat spinach?
Photo by satakieli