Delicious Carrot Muffins and Chicken Lemon Rice Soup for the Soul
I love to cook and try new recipes. The three things I look for before trying a new recipe are:
- Ease of preparation
- Great flavor
- Healthy ingredients
The healthy carrot muffin and chicken lemon rice soup accomplish all three. Moreover, they pair well together to make a meal that will comfort you during this cold winter season.
Healthy Carrot Muffin
- I use more whole wheat flour than white flour (I switch the amounts in the recipe).
- Rather than use two whole eggs, I use one whole egg and one egg white.
- Instead of vegetable oil, I substitute with applesauce in equal amounts.
- I also don’t use the full amount of brown sugar, since the applesauce and pineapple imparts natural sweetness.
- And when I don’t have enough carrots, I put shredded zucchini and shredded carrots in these muffins and they are quite delicious that way, too (and colorful).
Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
The Chicken Lemon Rice Soup recipe I use comes from Food.com. It includes more vegetables than the typical chicken lemon rice soup, of course, and that is why I like it. Any time you can add more vegetables to a soup it’s a great nutritional boost for your body.
A few ways I alter this recipe:
- I add extra vegetables, whatever I might have on hand, such as tomatoes, zucchini or mushrooms.
- I have also used brown rice, but take note: You sometimes need more chicken broth or to add some water to keep it as a soup. The rice ― especially brown rice ― soaks up the liquid and can turn the soup into a risotto-type dish, so keep an eye on it.
- I have also seasoned and roasted the chicken before putting it into the soup for a little bit more flavor, as another idea.
- I usually double any soup recipes that I make because I like to freeze some of it for later. My advice would be to freeze in single portions, so it is ready to grab and go for anyone in the household at any time.
Let me know if you try these recipes and what you think, and please share any cooking tips or recipes with me, too. I love to learn from all of you, as we find healthy foods and recipes together.
If you like these recipes, try these:
- Lemon Chicken Tortellini Soup with Dill
- Carrot Cake Energy Bites
- Zucchini-Carrot Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
Photo credit: realfoodforager