6 Ways to Maintain Weight Loss
| 4 min read
How do I maintain my weight loss?
- Don’t go to extremes. As you focus on living a healthier lifestyle make sure you aren’t going to extremes that lead you to dread your new habits. If you dread it, you will be much more likely to revert back to the old unhealthy habits and gain back any weight you lost.
- Make healthy changes you can live. For me, that means not skipping meals, taking smaller portions, refusing second helpings, drinking only zero-calorie beverages, limiting my visits to fast food restaurants and not purchasing items at the grocery store that are full of fat, calories, and sugar. These are things I still do today because they aren’t extreme, they are doable.
- Make exercise enjoyable. When it comes to exercise, I faced the fact that in order to lose weight, I had to do it, so I did what I enjoyed: walking. It wasn’t really anything extreme to me so I didn’t dread doing it daily. I still walk more than one mile every day and I feel that it is the main reason why I have maintained my weight loss.
- Get rid of your fat clothes! As my clothes became too large while I was losing weight, I didn’t keep them … I got rid of them. If I wouldn’t have done this, it would have been the same as saying, “I’ll probably need these again someday.” Don’t do that – say goodbye to the fat clothes.
- Pay attention to your body. If I ever notice my jeans becoming a little snug, especially around the holiday season, I don’t live in sweatpants and try to ignore it. I simply walk a little faster and a little longer until they fit well again.
- Forgive yourself. I don’t allow myself to feel guilty or become upset with myself by going overboard on a meal, I just eat a little less during the next one. Guilt often causes us to go to food for comfort and I’ve learned that food doesn’t create comfort, but being healthy does!