Woodward Dream Cruise 2023: 10 Places to Fuel Up Along the Route
| 4 min read
If you’re looking to recreate the nostalgic energy of the 1950s and 1960s or are a classic car enthusiast, look no further than Woodward Avenue in metro Detroit.
The Woodward Dream Cruise is the world’s largest one-day automotive event. It brings classic car enthusiasts from all over the world together for one grand culmination on Woodward Avenue.
The cruise draws around 1.5 million people and 40,000 classic cars each year. Drivers and spectators will travel the 16-mile route along Woodward beginning in Ferndale and finishing in Pontiac. Dream Cruise festivities are set to begin Friday, Aug. 18 in some cities across metro Detroit, with the cruise taking place Saturday, Aug. 19.
While the spotlight is certainly on the classic cars in attendance, here are some must-stop spots along the Dream Cruise route for some good eats and Michigan staples. If there’s a restaurant you’d like to visit, make sure to call ahead as some may be booked for private events or closed.
- Dairy Deluxe: Dairy Deluxe is a tried-and-true favorite for locals. They serve flurries, slushies and everything in between. Its prime location right on Woodward Avenue in Birmingham makes it the perfect stop along the Dream Cruise route to grab a refreshing treat. There’s no seating, but you’ll find cars and people lined along the side of the rode. 33201 Woodward Ave., Birmingham, MI 48009.
- Treat Dreams: If you’re up for a little adventure, hop on over to Treat Dreams and try one of their wacky, but delicious, ice cream flavors such as strawberry jalapeno and key lime pie. Grab a cone or ice cream sandwich and watch the cruise from their convenient location right on Woodward in Ferndale. 22965 Woodward Ave., Ferndale, MI 48220.
- Detroit Cookie Company: While Detroit Cookie Co.’s specialty is technically cookies, they provide a great selection of ice cream from Ashby’s & Country Dairy Ice Cream. With more than 25 cookie flavors to choose from, the ice cream sandwich here is like no other. It’s the perfect sweet treat to cool down in the August heat! Keep in mind indoor seating is limited. 23421 Woodward Ave., Ferndale, MI 48220.
- Imperial: Visit Imperial and enjoy some street tacos, chips and guac, and an ice-cold margarita. Imperial is located on Woodward in Ferndale. The open-air layout allows patrons to enjoy their meal and not miss a minute of the cruise. 22828 Woodward Ave., Ferndale, MI 48220.
- Como’s: If pizza is your groove hop on over to Como’s in Ferndale and enjoy a slice Detroit style! Como’s is conveniently located on Woodward in Ferndale, and its patio seating not only offers a fun atmosphere but also a great view of the cruise. 22812 Woodward Ave., Ferndale, MI 48220.
- Vinsetta Garage: Since it was a car garage in its past life, Vinsetta Garage encapsulates the spirit of the Dream Cruise like no other. The menu features Detroit eats and much more. Located on Woodward in Berkely, Vinsetta Garage is the place to be this Dream Cruise. 27799 Woodward Ave., Berkley, MI 48072.
- Hunter House Hamburgers: Everybody loves a good burger, and Hunter House has some of the best in the Midwest! It’s perfect for a quick bite and is guaranteed to always hit the spot. It’s located on Woodward in Birmingham. Seating is limited so consider grabbing a bag to go. 35075 Woodward Ave., Birmingham, MI 48009.
- Nicky D’s Coney Island: You must make a pit stop at a Michigan staple, Coney Island the home of the world-famous Coney dog! Nicky D’s Coney Island is conveniently located on Woodward in Royal Oak, so you won’t miss a minute of the cruise. This classic diner serves everything and is bound to be a hit for the whole family! 32657 Woodward Ave., Royal Oak, MI 48073.
- Red Hook Café: Grab a coffee and pastry from Red Hook located on West 9-mile Road right off Woodward in Ferndale. It’s the perfect location for a morning pick-me-up since many start the cruise in Ferndale. 220 W. Nine Mile Road, Ferndale, MI 48220.
- Eli Tea Bar: If you’re not a big fan of coffee but are still itching for a caffeine kick head on over to Eli Tea Bar located on Old Woodward in Birmingham. They specialize in tea, but don’t fret they do offer a few coffee alternatives. The bubble tea is a must try! 108 S Old Woodward Ave., Birmingham, MI 48009.
- Woodward Dream Cruise Survival Guide
- 8 Iconic Michigan Ice Cream Parlors to Visit
- Wing Foiling is Taking off on Lake Michigan
Photo credit: Simons-Michelson-Zieve (SMZ)