Detroit ShwarmaFest Champ Shares Healthy Chicken Shawarma Recipe
| 2 min read
Are you ready for some delicious pre-Thanksgiving food? Come check out the 2015 Greater Detroit ShawarmaFest where local Middle Eastern restaurants will offer up some of their best flavors.
2014 Detroit ShawarmaFest winner and Halal-certified Byblos Café and Grill is among the restaurants that will be showcased at the event. Last year they took home the top titles for Best Chicken Shawarma, Best Falafel and Best Hummus.
The 2015 event takes place Nov. 19 at the Royal Oak Farmers Market from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Advance tickets are $10 for adults and $8 for children ages six to 12. For more information or to purchase discount tickets from The Quintessential Event Company, click here.
Want to learn how to make your own healthy chicken shawarma? Have no fear, Brian Ahmad, owner and highly trained chef of Byblos Café and Grill, shows us how it’s done.
Healthy Chicken Shawarma Recipe:
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 5 cloves of crushed garlic
- Salt & white pepper
- 8 oz. lemon juice
- Pinch thyme leaves
- Vegetable oil
- 1 tps. paprika, if desired
- Slice each chicken breast in half thinly like a flat palm, and then rinse the chicken breast with cold water and let drain.
- Once drained, place chicken in a large bag along with the garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, thyme and paprika. Mix the ingredients well, and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Either sear or grill the chicken. Once the chicken is cooked, serve it thinly sliced.
- The chicken shawarma can be used on a salad, in a pita with Garlic sauce and pickles, or you can enjoy it on some rice as a complete dinner.
Can’t make it to the festival, but want to get a taste of the action? Stop by Byblos Café and Grill.
What’s your favorite place to enjoy Middle Eastern food? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
If you liked this post, you might want to check out:
Photo credit: Byblos Cafe and Grill, courtesy image