Whitecaps School Days Games Promise Learning and Fun
| 2 min read
Peanuts, crackerjacks, and a biology lesson?
With the end of the school year fast approaching, some West Michigan students will be treated to an extra-special day at the ballpark with some fun and educational off-field attractions.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan is sponsoring three School Days Games, a series of 11 a.m. West Michigan Whitecaps games geared toward school-aged kids. School Days Games will take place on May 13 and 14, and June 3. Gates open at 9:30 a.m.
In addition to some great baseball, students and educators are encouraged to show up early to experience a number of health, exercise, and learning stations around the park. The stations will be staffed through the 1st inning and include:
- It’s Nutritious! This station gives a basic lesson on nutrition, with a look at what some of the Whitecaps players eat to fuel up for a game.
- Physical Fitness stations with push-ups, curls, and questions.
- Numbers in Baseball, with a fun math lesson that uses real-life examples such as figuring out how far $10 will get you at the concession stand.
- Baseball in America, with a focus on geography and where in the United States the Whitecaps play as well as the states where students’ favorite Major League Baseball teams play.
- Baseball Through the Ages, a history lesson focusing on notable moments in baseball history, as well as general historical milestones.
- World Wide Safety, which will underscore internet safety.
- Let There Be Light, a spotlight on electricity and safety.
- Too High? Students will observe a geometry experiment using baseballs hit at different angles, then solving problems based on how far they go.
- Whitecaps Mathletes, a game devoted to solving math problems based on players’ jersey numbers.
- It’s Simple, a station devoted to simple machines such as hammers, bolts, and of course, baseball bats.
- What’s In a Baseball Field, where students will learn about soil composition.
- Nature’s Gardeners, which features a biology lesson about earthworms.
- When I Grow Up, a station to learn about careers in baseball.
Are you and your kids planning a trip to the ballpark soon? What’s your favorite thing about a day watching baseball? Tell us in the comments and make sure to scoop up your tickets for the upcoming School Days Games!
If you like this post, you might also enjoy:
Photo credit: Courtesy of West Michigan Whitecaps