Homemade Vanilla-Coconut Ice Cream (in a Bag!)
Summer and ice cream go hand-in-hand. But did you know you could whip up a fresh batch of ice cream at home, without any fancy gadgets or appliances? All you need is a few ingredients and plastic bags.
This recipe-part dessert, part science project, is so easy and a perfect hands-on activity for kids. You simply put ice and salt in a large freezer bag, and fill a smaller sandwich bag with all of the ice cream ingredients. Then shake!
We’ve made ours dairy-free by using coconut milk, but you could use regular milk or for something more decadent, heavy cream. You can also customize your ice cream by adding flavored syrups, fruit, or crushed cookies.
For the ice cream:
1 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups ice
1/3 cup rock salt
1 sealable gallon bag
1 sealable quart bag
Coconut Vanilla Ice Cream
1. In the smaller bag, add your coconut milk, honey and vanilla extract.
2. Seal the bag and combine together until the honey is mostly dissolved.
3. In the larger bag, add your ice and rock salt.
4. Place the smaller bag inside of the larger bag and seal shut
5. Vigorously shake the bag for about 10 minutes until the ice cream has solidified.
Nutrition Facts per serving, makes 2 servings:
Total Fat 4g
Saturated Fat 2.3g
Trans Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrates 15g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 0%