Get Active With Your Michigan Big Green Gym
After a harsh Michigan winter, I started outdoor running to give myself a break from the four walls of my gym. My running journey started out by me running around the block and, slowly but surely, building endurance. When I felt more confident and needed a change of scenery, I headed out to explore the local parks.
And that’s when I found what I’m passionate about. Running through the paths and trails of Michigan parks gave me a break from my everyday reality. There are no cars beeping, phones ringing or construction. When I’m at the park, I’m there to do one thing for myself and that’s run.
Running through the parks has changed my exercise routine and had me feeling excited to get outside again. So much so that I started challenging myself by running trail races. This was a great way for me to connect with other runners and explore the trails of other local parks.
However, running isn’t the only thing people can enjoy at the park. Here are some of the activities you’ll find others doing:
- Fishing: Many of Michigan’s parks have lakes where you can find people either out on boats fishing or casting their line off a pier.
- Biking: Whether you’re a serious cyclist, a mountain biker or just want to enjoy the casual bike ride, you can find paths or trails that fit your activity and skill level.
- Yoga: Why not take your practice outside? Sometimes you’ll be able to find yoga classes that are hosted inside parks.
- Hiking: Parks host some of the most scenic hiking routes. If you want to see where the trails are, how technical they are or want help navigating them, you can download the AllTrails app to see what other hikers are saying.
There is something for everyone to do at the park. And this year, the Department of Natural Resources is celebrating 100 years of the state parks, so now is the perfect time to get out and enjoy them!
Here are other blogs about parks you might like:
- Accessibility at Michigan State Parks
- Ideas We Love: Doctors Prescribing Parks
- 4 Hidden Gems in Michigan State Parks
Photo Credit: Pexels.com