Savor These 3 Essential Cinco de Mayo Recipes
While Cinco de Mayo commemorates Mexico’s surprise victory in the Battle of Puebla, today, it remains a wider celebration of Mexican heritage and culture. There are several opportunities for Michiganders to join in on the revelry. Races, folk dancing, musical performances and parades are springing up throughout the state this weekend.
But there’s no need to gas up the car: Bring the bash to your home with a healthy, mouth-watering spread inspired by classic Mexican dishes! It doesn’t take much for your Cinco treats to take the unhealthy route–piles of cheese, sour cream and processed meats can up the calorie count in a flash.
Cutting back on some fatty ingredients doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice flavor. Blow your party guests away with three of our all-time favorite Cinco de Mayo classics: Crunchy Taco Cups, Bell Pepper Nachos and a Walking Taco Salad.
- 24 Won Ton wrappers
- ½ lb. 99% lean ground turkey
- ½ lb. 93%-96% lean ground beef
- 1 large zucchini, shredded
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 pkg. taco seasoning (substitute gluten-free seasoning if preferred)
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 cup light plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- Light plain Greek yogurt and guacamole for garnish (optional)
Crunchy Taco Cups
1. Preheat your oven to 375°. Generously spray and line muffin tins with one or two Won ton wrapper. For extra crunchy cup use two Won ton wrappers for your cup.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the onions, turkey and beef for 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and seasonings and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and fold in the plain Greek yogurt and salsa. Scoop two tablespoons of the mixture into each Won Ton cup. Place in oven for about 6-8 minutes. Remove and sprinkle cheese on top of each cup and place back in the oven for about 5 minutes until cheese melts.
4. Serve immediately topped with your favorite taco toppings, such as, lettuce, salsa, sour cream and guacamole. Enjoy!
Nutritional information per taco cup:
24 Servings Total = Makes 24 crunchy taco cups
Amount Per Serving = 1 crunchy taco cup
Total Fat 1.9 g
Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 can black beans, undrained
- 1.5 cups diced fresh tomatoes or 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (7 oz) mild green chiles
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin
- 1.5 teaspoons sea salt
- 1.5 teaspoons chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Bell peppers, any color, quartered with seeds removed
- Shredded cheese of choice
Bell Pepper Nachos with Slow Cooker Taco Meat
1. Place all ingredients except bell pepper and cheese in slow cooker or crockpot.
2. Cook on high for 2 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
3. Use bell pepper “nacho” boats and top with prepared meat and shredded cheese.
4. If you would like, you can put the bell pepper nachos on a cookie sheet and broil on high until cheese melts.
5. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Nutritional Info for One Serving of Bell Pepper Nachos:
Makes 8 Servings
Amount Per Serving = 4 filled bell pepper nacho boats
Total Fat 6.1 g
Saturated Fat 1.6 g
Cholesterol 67.5 mg
Sodium 396.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 25.8 g
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 medium red or yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes or about 8 fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can of whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (4 oz.) can of diced green chiles
- 1 cup beer or chicken broth
- 1 packet (1/4 cup) taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Taco Salad Recipe #1: Slow Cooker Turkey Taco Chili
1. Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey and saute until completely browned, about 6-8 minutes, using a spoon to stir and break up the meat as it cooks.
2. Drain the cooked turkey of any excess liquid, then transfer the turkey to the pot of a slow cooker.
3. Add all of the remaining ingredients, and stir to combine.
4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours. Enjoy!
Nutrition Info per Serving:
1 serving = 1 cup of mixed greens and 1 cup of taco chili
Total Fat 2.5 g
Saturated Fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 24.4 mg
Sodium 277.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
Sugars 5.7 g
Protein 15.8 g
- 3 avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup pistachios, chopped (optional)
Taco Salad Recipe #2: Goat Cheese Guacamole
1. In a large bowl, coat avocados with lime juice. Use a fork or potato masher to mash.
2. Add goat cheese, salt, cumin, cayenne and continue to mash.
3. Fold in onions, chives, jalapeno, tomatoes, cilantro and garlic.
4. Add optional ingredients if desired and fold into guacamole.
5. Salt and pepper to taste.
6. Let sit for one hour, then top taco salad with the guacamole.
Nutrition Info per Serving:
1/4 cup = 1 serving
Total Fat 8.8 g
Saturated Fat 2.3 g
Cholesterol 4.3 mg
Sodium 136.4 mg
Potassium 233.6 mg
Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
Sugars 1.3 g
Protein 2.9 g
- 6 Roma tomatoes
- ½ cup corn kernels (from about 1 cob)
- ½ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 nectarines (or peaches) – chopped to ½ inch cubes
- 4 jalapeno peppers (leave seeds in for extra spice or reduce number of jalapenos for milder flavor)
- ½ white onion
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
Taco Salad Recipe #3: Southwestern Nectarine Salsa
1. Add all ingredients, except for the corn, black beans and nectarines, into a food processor or blender that has a chop mode. Pulse 5 to 10 times, or until the ingredients are diced and combined. Be careful that the salsa does not become soupy.
2. Fold in the corn, black beans and nectarines until well combined.
3. Transfer salsa to an airtight container and refrigerated for one day before serving to allow flavors to marinate.
4. Top taco salad with the salsa and enjoy!
Nutrition Info per Serving:
1 serving = 1/2 cup
Total Fat 0.5 g
Saturated Fat 0.0 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 119.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 6.3 g
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
Sugars 3.2 g
Protein 1.1 g