A Healthier Twist on a Restaurant Favorite: Mexican Pizza with Cauliflower Crust
The average American dines out between four and five times per week. Choosing convenience foods over a meal at home can negatively influence your health, specifically based on portions.
One cheese pizza slice contains about 175 calories, and 30 grams of carbs. This recipe for cauliflower pizza crust has less than 50 calories, and only two grams of carbs.
Try this delicious recipe out for a healthy alternative to restaurant pizza!
For the crust:
- 1 small to medium sized head of cauliflower – should yield 2 to 3 cups once processed
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder or 1 clove of garlic minced
- A few shakes of crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
For the toppings:
- Enchilada sauce
- Refried beans
- Ground taco meat
- Mexican cheese blend
- Black olives
- Diced tomatoes
- Green onions
- Avocado, plain Greek yogurt, hot sauce (optional garnish)
A Healthier Mexican Pizza with Cauliflower Crust
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Wash and dry cauliflower. Cut off stems and use florets. Pulse the cauliflower florets in your food processor to "rice" the cauliflower. Do this for about 30 seconds until the cauliflower looks like rice. Place riced cauliflower in microwave safe bowl and place in microwave for about 2 minutes.
3. Let cauliflower cool for a few moments. Then dump into clean dry kitchen towel and squeeze out the excess moisture. This will make sure that your pizza crust sets and doesn't turn into a crumbly mess due to too much moisture.
4. Mix all ingredients together. Using your hands works best.
5. Spray your cookie sheet or pizza stone with cooking spray. Then mold your cauliflower pizza crust onto it. Think thin crust pizza and it should be about 10 inches in diameter.
6. Bake your pizza crust in the oven for 8-12 minutes.
7. Take out crust and let cool for a few minutes.
8. Place your favorite Mexican pizza toppings on crust. Place back in the oven to warm thru and melt cheese. Add optional garnish and serve hot. Enjoy!