Vending machines: 7 healthy snacks you won’t regret
When afternoon hunger hits at work and you forgot to bring some fruit from home, the vending machine is usually your only option. But while most snacks found there get a well-deserved bad reputation—candy bars and chips show up on every nutritionists’ avoid-at-all-costs lists—there are some healthier choices that will satisfy you until dinner and keep you on track.
- Planters sunflower kernels: In one-fourth a cup of these salty seeds, you get heart-healthy fats, 3 grams of fiber, and 6 grams of protein with only 170 calories. Check the servings per package so you don’t go overboard.
- Snyder’s mini pretzels: Sure these don’t deliver many nutritional benefits, but 20 pretzels only pack 110 calories and are fat free.
- SunChips: Unlike traditional potato chips, these are made with 100 percent whole grains (21 grams per serving!).
- Smartfood white cheddar popcorn: Flavored with actual cheddar cheese, this bagged popcorn tastes a lot more decadent than it is. A one-ounce serving has just 160 calories.
- Dove dark chocolate: This portion-controlled amount of antioxidant-rich dark chocolate is perfect for satisfying a sweet tooth.
- York Peppermint Pattie: Another great sweet treat, this candy has just 140 calories and 2.5 grams of fat in the entire thing.
- 100-calorie packs: Whether it’s filled with almonds, chips, cookies or popcorn, these smaller servings guarantee you won’t finish off a humongous bag without realizing it.
Photo credit: ColorblindRain