Slim down your coffee order
A hot mug of coffee is ideal for keeping you awake and warm, especially in the winter. But beware—not all trips to the cafe are created equal. Where a cup of black coffee is a mere 2 calories, a large mocha can set you back 580 calories, 22 grams of fat and 75 grams of sugar. (Yes, 75 grams of sugar.) Think a plain cup o’ joe is boring? Here are some ways to order a tasty treat without the overload of unhealthiness:
- Avoid cream and whole milk. Low-fat milk and light soy are options with much lower calorie counts. And if it’s a fancier joint, ask for unsweetened vanilla almond milk, which only has 30 calories in an entire cup.
- Pass on the whipped cream. You’ll save over 80 calories and 8 grams of fat with that one request.
- Ask for sugar-free syrup. Vanilla, hazelnut, chocolate – all of your favorite flavors come in sugar-free varieties. It’s a fun way to sweeten up your drink with no additional calories.
- Order a small size. If you really want that mocha, go ahead and splurge but avoid the large. A small will still satisfy your sweet-tooth.
- Make “skinny” and “light” part of your coffee shop vocabulary. Use these magic words while ordering and baristas will be sure to slim it down any way possible.
Check out these blogs if you enjoyed this one:
Photo credit: Fil.Al