Slim down your coffee order
A hot mug of coffee is ideal for keeping you awake and warm, especially in the winter. But beware—not all trips to the cafe are created equal. Where a cup of black coffee is a mere 2 calories, a large mocha can set you back 580 calories, 22 grams of fat and 75 grams of sugar. (Yes, 75 grams of sugar.) Think a plain cup o’ joe is boring? Here are some ways to order a tasty treat without the overload of unhealthiness:
- Avoid cream and whole milk. Low-fat milk and light soy are options with much lower calorie counts. And if it’s a fancier joint, ask for unsweetened vanilla almond milk, which only has 30 calories in an entire cup.
- Pass on the whipped cream. You’ll save over 80 calories and 8 grams of fat with that one request.
- Ask for sugar-free syrup. Vanilla, hazelnut, chocolate – all of your favorite flavors come in sugar-free varieties. It’s a fun way to sweeten up your drink with no additional calories.
- Order a small size. If you really want that mocha, go ahead and splurge but avoid the large. A small will still satisfy your sweet-tooth.
- Make “skinny” and “light” part of your coffee shop vocabulary. Use these magic words while ordering and baristas will be sure to slim it down any way possible.
Photo credit: Fil.Al