12 Days of Holiday Recipes Day 12: Toasted Almond and Cherry Scones
We end our 12 Days of Holiday Recipes with a sweet treat to have with coffee or tea, maybe on Christmas morning. These Toasted Almond and Cherry Scones are delicious and great for those of you who want to enjoy something sweet without all the calories.
- 4 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 3 3/10 ounces whole-wheat pastry flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons 2% reduced-fat milk
Preheat oven to 400°. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place oats in a food processor; process until finely ground. Add flours, brown sugar, and next 5 ingredients (through allspice) to processor; pulse 3 times. Add butter; pulse 5 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add sour cream and vanilla; pulse 3 times or just until combined (do not overmix). Add cherries and nuts; pulse 2 times.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 3 times. Roll dough to a 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter to form 10 rounds. Place rounds 1 inch apart on a baking sheet lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet; cool on a wire rack.
Combine powdered sugar and 4 teaspoons milk, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle powdered sugar glaze over scones.
Enjoy! And, have a great holiday season. We hope you enjoyed the recipes we’ve shared with you. What was your favorite? Will you make any of them for your family?
Nutritional Information (Makes 10 servings)
Per serving: 277.7 calories; 9.2g total fat; 269.5g sodium; 34.9g carbohydrates; 1.9g fiber; 3.9g protein
Photo Credit: moirabot