Six steps for diabetics to ensure a long-lasting, healthy smile
| 3 min read
- Brush your teeth twice a day and floss once a day to help remove decay-causing plaque that builds up naturally on teeth.
- Control your blood sugar level to prevent high levels of bacteria from forming in the mouth.
- Make sure to visit your dentist twice a year for regular checkups and inform them you have diabetes.
- If you wear them, remove and clean your dentures daily.
- Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol intake, which can raise your blood sugar levels.
- Contact your dentist if you experience any of the following symptoms of gum disease: gums that bleed; gums that have pulled away from the teeth; pus that appears between your teeth and gums; constant bad breath.