Common health insurance questions: How does a deductible work?

Steve Chapoton

| 2 min read

Knowing key terms frequently used in your health care policy can make all the difference when deciphering medical bills. Coinsurance, copayment, deductible, premiums and other terms can become confusing if you are unsure exactly how each works within your insurance policy. Your deductible, a fixed dollar amount you would pay before coinsurance kicks in, can range from $1,000 for an individual to $27,000 for families. The confusing part is what actually counts toward your deductible versus what services are not covered.
Copayments for a prescription or doctor visit do not count toward your deductible. However, most plans only cover lab work and X-rays after deductible, which means you would pay for these services and that money would be calculated into your overall deductible amount. As part of the new mandate, preventive care services are covered at 100 percent for most plans; because you do not pay for these services, they do not count towards your deductible.
Once you have reached your deductible amount, your coinsurance rate would then kick in. This is typically a 70/30 split, where your insurance company is responsible for 70 percent while you are expected to cover the remaining 30 percent until you reach another fixed dollar amount – this is your coinsurance maximum. Once both the deductible and coinsurance maximum have been reached in a calendar year, your insurance company would then pay 100 percent for future services, which is called your out-of-pocket maximum and does not include money spent on services not covered by your plan.
To learn more about deductibles, out-of-pocket maximums and other key terms used in your health insurance policy, visit the BCBSM website. Have other questions about health insurance? Ask a question, see answers and learn more on Health Insurance Central.

A Healthier Michigan is sponsored by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, a nonprofit, independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association.
No Personal Healthcare Advice or Other Advice
This Web site provides general educational information on health-related issues and provides access to health-related resources for the convenience of our users. This site and its health-related information and resources are not a substitute for professional medical advice or for the care that patients receive from their physicians or other health care providers.
This site and its health-related information resources are not meant to be the practice of medicine, the practice of nursing, or to carry out any professional health care advice or service in the state where you live. Nothing in this Web site is to be used for medical or nursing diagnosis or professional treatment.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other licensed health care provider. Always consult your health care provider before beginning any new treatment, or if you have any questions regarding a health condition. You should not disregard medical advice, or delay seeking medical advice, because of something you read in this site.