5 Reasons to Schedule a Check-In with a Primary Care Doctor
| 2 min read
- You’ll know the important numbers: Routine check-ups always involve a few simple tests that provide you with the leading metrics you need to understand your health. Having an awareness of statistics like your cholesterol levels and blood pressure is extremely helpful in knowing when you need to tweak your diet or make other lifestyle changes.
- It’s part of your plan: As a Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan PPO or Blue Care Network HMO member, you’re able to see your doctor once a year for a routine check-up—and it’s often covered by your health care plan, beyond your normal co-pay cost.
- Primary doctors know your history: Your primary doctor understands your medical and family history and, in turn, knows your symptoms and can identify the best treatment plans for you. Moreover, developing an established relationship between you and your doctor can lead to greater trust and understanding.
- You’ll get preventive care: Spending an hour a year in your doctor’s office allows you to receive basic testing that helps you keep track of your health. Through routine procedures like blood tests, mammograms and colonoscopies, your doctor can help identify serious diseases early, before you might notice symptoms on your own.
- It helps create an updated medical record: If you ever find yourself in the emergency room, you’ll want your medical records to be up-to-date. Visiting your primary care doctor annually means your record will reflect any new symptoms, allergies or prescriptions you’re taking. With this updated information, the doctors treating you can know what’s best for you.