Find Your Focus: Meditation Centers in Michigan
| 2 min read
With the change in weather, you may want to turn to your local meditation center or even an app. Meditation is a centuries-old practice that uses techniques like mindfulness and effortless presence to promote wellness in both your mind and body. But meditating does not need to be intimidating. In fact, meditating for a few minutes each day can have a great impact on your brain function and sleeping patterns, not to mention stress levels. Research has also found that the relaxation response triggered by meditation affects many of your body’s systems, including metabolism and heart rate. Other benefits of regular meditation include:
- Improved immune system
- Reduced blood pressure
- Increased mental strength and focus
- Lessened worry and anxiety
While you can absolutely meditate in the comfort of your own home, there are benefits to practicing in a community setting. Mediation centers help you develop your meditation skills, force you to not be distracted by chores or disruptions and increase overall knowledge about the practice. Here are five great places to practice in Michigan:
- House of Yoga in Berkley: Meditation classes are mixed in with the yoga offerings at this intimate studio.
- Ann Arbor Yoga and Meditation: “Mastering Meditation” and “Yoga Meditation Workshop” are two of the meditation-focused courses offered throughout the week.
- Yoga Center for Healthy Living in Brighton: Check out their hour-long Yoga Nidra classes, which are guided meditations done on your back with little to no movement.
- Creative Wellness in East Lansing: Meditation techniques are integrated into classes at this wellness center. You can also participate in a silent meditation session, which is free and open to the public.
- Grand Rapids Center for Mindfulness: This wellness center offers a variety of meditation courses aimed at incorporating mindfulness into every aspect of your life.
Looking to increase your meditation time without leaving home? Try the Stop Breathe & Think app for a high-tech twist on guided meditation. And if you’d like to keep learning about slowing down and calming your mind, check out these other blogs:
This blog post is part of #HealthyMe, a personalized web experience based on your health and wellness goals. To sign up today, visit https://www.ahealthiermichigan.org/healthyme.
Photo credit: Minoru Nitta