Add a Personal Touch to Mother’s Day with DIY Gift Ideas
| 2 min read
Picking out the perfect gift can be a tricky task, especially when it’s someone you care for. Every year around Mother’s Day, marketing for World’s Best Mom mugs and trinkets fill the ad sections of flyers and screens nationwide. But many moms prefer something made by their children, regardless of their age. Whether you’re someone helping a child prepare a gift or you’re in need of a DIY project for your own mom, we’ve got you covered with two ideas.
Mother’s Day falls during springtime when herbs are flourishing. Take advantage of the season’s bounty with a from made-from-scratch whipped spread:
Gourmet Herbed Whipped Goat Cheese
What you need:
- 8-ounce goat cheese
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (this recipe used 2% fat, but 1% or fat-free can also be used)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (1 Tbsp. separated for topping)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 10 chives, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mason canning jar
- Multigrain crackers
- Combine goat cheese, Greek yogurt, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper in a food processor (or bowl if using an immersion blender).
- Stir in chives and parsley.
- Place mixture in a canning jar decorated with a ribbon and top with 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Give the gift with a package of multigrain or whole wheat pita crackers.
Many people love starting a garden in the spring, and herbs are a gift that keeps giving all summer long. Seeds can easily be started in an egg carton, then transplanted to larger containers. Here’s an idea for a DIY Herb Garden Kit for Mom:
DIY Herb Garden Seed Kit
Here’s what you need:
- 1 empty 6-egg carton
- 6 types of herb seeds, divided in small zip bags
- Quart-size zip bag containing 1 cup potting mix
- 6 small decorative stones or popsicle sticks
- Paint or sharpie
- Add about 10 of each type of seed in each small zip bag or gift the entire seed packet. Consider parsley, chives, basil, thyme, cilantro and tarragon. (*For example, parsley seeds in one zip bag, chive seeds in another, etc.)
- Paint stones or popsicle sticks with the names of herb seeds included.
- In the egg carton, add the bag of soil, bags of seeds and painted stones. Close the carton, then wrap it with a ribbon.
Photo credit: Shanthi Appelö