What you may not know about watermelon
| 3 min read
In addition to being a tasty summer treat and a picnic favorite, watermelon is widely considered to be one of the healthiest fruits. Watermelon is full of important antioxidants, providing sources of both Vitamins A and C. It is free of fat and cholesterol. It is also a cleansing fruit, allowing effortless digestion to occur and your body to easily absorb all of its minerals and nutrients. Read on to discover some interesting facts about watermelon that you probably don’t already know.
- Natural moisturizer– Watermelon can actually work wonders for your skin, acting as a natural moisturizer and toner to keep skin cool and glowing.
- Perfect diet food- With no fat and very few calories (approximately 48 calories per cup), watermelon is an ideal food for any summer diet plan. Replacing a high calorie dessert with a big slice of watermelon can help you to lose weight this summer.
- Body nourishment- Watermelon is nourishing because of its high water content. The fruit is also rich in electrolytes like sodium and potassium. On a hot day the electrolytes that are lost through sweat can be nourished with a slice of watermelon. If there ever is a time this summer that you may feel fatigued, choosing a piece of watermelon, packed with potassium, Vitamin C, lycopene and iron, will help to drive away that fatigued feeling.
- Stress reliever- Watermelon is the fruit of choice for people who are looking for to relieve stress. It contains high amounts of vitamin B6, which is used by the body to produce the brain chemicals that relieve stress, anxiety and panic attacks, watermelon is the best fruit of choice for relieving stress. The wonder fruit naturally relaxes blood vessels without the side effects of drugs.
- Fat burner– Watermelon can make your metabolism work more efficiently to ultimately burn fat because of its high water content. Consuming a healthy amount of fiber and protein will cause your body to work harder in order to process the watermelon. Most of the calories will quickly burn after consuming a slice of watermelon.
Sometimes choosing the right watermelon can be difficult. Next time you are picking out your watermelon, choose one with a bright green rind. Better color on the outside typically means better color and flavor on the inside. Also, knock on the rind with your fist. It is a good sign if the sound is hollow because it indicates that the watermelon is firm. You should never buy a watermelon with a soft, yellow green rind.
What is your favorite way to include watermelon into your diet?
If you enjoyed this post, you may also like:
Photo credit: raw pixel