Run for Your Dinner: Sign Up for Michigan Turkey Day Races
| 2 min read
According to the Calorie Control Council, the average American Thanksgiving meal packs a whopping 3,000 calories.
If you’re planning to chow down as you give thanks, consider participating in one of Michigan’s many turkey day races. While it may not counteract your entire meal, you can burn about 300 calories if you run the 5K distance, less if you walk it.
That means you could enjoy your turkey (167 calories for four ounces), mashed potatoes (237 calories) or pumpkin pie slice (316 calories) mostly guilt-free. As for the other 2,700 calories? Try healthier recipes for some of your favorite staples and definitely watch your portion sizes.
Sign up for your hometown races today:
- Detroit Turkey Trot*: Wear costumes to participate in “the parade before the parade”, a 35-year tradition in downtown Detroit.
- Grand Rapids Turkey Trot*: Run to benefit the Grand Rapids Public Schools’ interscholastic athletics programming.
- Kalamazoo Area Runners Turkey Trot 5K Time Prediction Run: You don’t necessarily have to be fast to win this race – prizes will be awarded to those who finish the closest to their own predicted time. Race day donations will also be accepted for the Kalamazoo Gospel Mission (bring men’s, women’s and children’s socks).
- Lansing Turkey Trot: Pass by the State Capitol’s Christmas tree during the 19th annual running of this fast course.
- Turkey Trot Fun Run in Grand Haven: This run/walk event is meant to be fun for the entire family.
- Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trotin Ann Arbor: Run, walk or crawl with the whole family through this race that benefits the ChadTough Foundation.
- Traverse City Turkey Trot: Sign up for the 12th annual running of this race, which benefits the TART Trails Boardman Lake Loop Project and local youth teams/organizations.
- Twin Cities Turkey Trotin Benton Harbor: Year five of this race will benefit the Benton Harbor Police Athletic League.
*Editor’s note: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan is a sponsor of the Detroit Turkey Trot Mashed Potato Mile. The Grand Rapids Turkey Trot is presented by Blue Care Network.
If you liked this post, you might also enjoy:
Photo credit: The Parade Company