Destination Michigan: Best stops for a quick weekend getaway
| 3 min read
This summer, take a family vacation to a place with both beautiful scenery and must-see attractions – The Mitten State! The diverse cities of Michigan offer everything from scenic beaches and unique dining to kid-friendly activities and entertainment, perfect for a weekend getaway for the whole family. Here are some of our favorite weekend getaway spots:
This unique city prides itself on its vibrant atmosphere and appreciation for the arts, creating an exciting mix of attractions, including:
- Farmers Market – A year-round market located in Ann Arbor’s Historic Kerrytown District features more than 160 vendors allowing shoppers to browse and enjoy all the city has to offer.
- Zingerman’s Delicatessen – Satisfy your hunger at this landmark restaurant with its delectable sandwiches and unique breads.
- Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum – Ignite your imagination! This museum features nine unique galleries with more than 250 interactive exhibits.
A hidden gem in the Great Lakes, you and the family can relax, rewind and rejuvenate with water activities, low-key evenings and lots of local events.
Motown. The D. Motor City. Whatever name you call it, Detroit has something for everyone with numerous attractions for the whole family to enjoy, including:
- Detroit Zoo – This family attraction sees more than one million visitors annually, who get to enjoy the company of more than 3,300 animals. Be sure to stop by the Butterfly Garden and Arctic Ring of Life, two of the zoo’s most popular exhibits. (Bonus: You and the family can also save on admission as a Healthy Blue Xtras member!)
- Greektown – Opa! Experience delicious food and old-world charm in this tradition-rich city.
Roam the streets of this beautiful island by horseback, bicycle, or horse-drawn carriage and experience the uniqueness of this quaint town.
- Grand Hotel – Voted as one of the best resorts for families and kids by Travel+Leisure, this unique resort spot offers spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac and combines rich history with modern amenities.
- Haunted Theater – The island’s scariest family-fun adventure combines a haunted house and wax monster display, perfect for the older kids.
Known for its amazing beach views, there is plenty to do in this scenic town. Some activities include:
- Sandy shorelines – As one of America’s Top 10 Beach Towns, you and the family can enjoy countless hours on the 180 miles of Lake Michigan shoreline.
- Great Wolf Lodge – Splash the day away in an indoor water park with over 39,000 square feet of water-packed excitement. Plus, HBX members receive 15 percent off room rates and spa services.
- Magical History Tour – Take a trip through Traverse City’s history with a 90-minute trolley tour exploring Sixth Street, Old Town, Downtown, Clinch Park and the Grand Traverse Commons.
Be sure to look at healthybluextras.com before heading out for the weekend to score great deals on travel accommodations and attractions.