5 Free Summer Events in the U.P.
| 2 min read
Michigan’s Upper Peninsula is known for its breathtaking natural beauty and close-knit rural communities. Whether you’re a native Yooper or just visiting for the summer, check out these 2016 events for free family-friendly fun!
- The Badwater Ski-ters ShowWatch this award-winning water ski team perform stunts and routines from your blanket or lawn chair on the shore.
When: Wednesday and Sunday evenings, 6:00 to 7:30 p.m.
Where: Vagabond Park, Iron Mountain
- Voices in the Mist Twilight Walking Tours Spooky stories, surprises, legends and historic mysteries are sure to entertain on this guided walking tour along the Huron Boardwalk.
When: Monday and Tuesday evenings in July and August, 7:00 to 8:30 p.m.
Where: Museum of Ojibwa Culture, St. Ignace
- Independence Day Parade and Picnic* Help your kids decorate a bike, wagon or stroller to show off your patriotic spirit and participate in the children’s parade through the campground. Free food including hot dogs, pop, chips and ice cream will be provided.
When: July 4
Where: Twin Lakes State Park
- Rock Star Party*Your child will feel like a rock star as they explore the interactive museum in costume at this themed party with free crafts, music, snacks and Culver’s frozen custard.
When: July 14, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Where: Upper Peninsula Children’s Museum, Marquette
- Connor Gorsuch Kid’s Fishing DayKids ages 16 and under are invited to this annual fishing competition. Food, refreshments, prizes and bait will be provided. Some fishing equipment will be available, but you are encouraged to bring your own.
When: July 30, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Where: Rotary Park, Sault Ste. Marie
*Admission to these locations is free with a Michigan Activity Pass. See here for more information on how to use your Michigan library card to check out a pass, as well as a full listing of participating locations.
What’s your favorite U.P. summer destination? Share with us in the comments below!
Editor’s Note: Event details are subject to change. Contact the event organizers for the most updated information.
Photo credit: A Healthier Michigan