Celebrate the Red, White and Blue with Fun Dessert
From food vendors at fireworks celebrations to cookouts and family potlucks, food is a big part of our Fourth of July festivities.
If you’re looking for a fun dessert that is light, cool and refreshing, consider a Red, White and Blue Yogurt Panna Cotta.
This no-bake delight, made with Greek yogurt, is a healthier version of a heavy cream-based Italian dessert. It’s not only easy to whip up, but it can also be made ahead of time. And the creamy texture has a decadent feel that usually comes with higher-calorie sweet dishes.
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt (1-2% milkfat)
- 1.5 tsp unflavored gelatin powder
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cups plus 3 Tbsp milk, divided (1-2% milkfat)
Red, White and Blue Yogurt Panna Cotta — Serves 4
1. Pour 3 Tbsp milk into a bowl and sprinkle the gelatin. Let stand 5-10 minutes while completing the next step.
2. Heat 1¼ cups milk and the sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the gelatin mixture and stir until sugar and gelatin are completely dissolved. Do not boil. Stir in yogurt.
3. Pour 1/3 cup of the mixture into a short glass tilted sideways in a storage container. Cover with plastic wrap and let it set for 6 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. When finished setting, pour in the gel (next recipe).
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- ½ cup dragon fruit
- ¾ tsp gelatin powder
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tbsp sugar
Dragon Fruit and Raspberry Gelee
1. In a small bowl, pour water and sprinkle on the gelatin powder. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
2. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add fruit and sugar and simmer until sugar and fruit are dissolved into a jammy texture. Stir in gelatin.
3. Use a fine-mesh sieve to filter seeds.
4. Let cool to room temperature then add to the panna cotta (too hot will dissolve the panna cotta). Let it set for 1 hour before serving.
5. When ready to serve, add blueberries or blackberries to complete the American flag colors.