Reinvent the Grill with Fruit Desserts for Father’s Day
Father’s Day is around the corner, and stores are highlighting their golf clubs and grilling tools to help shoppers find that perfect gift. According to a recent report, the most popular gifts for dads are clothing, gift cards and restaurant meals followed by a meal at home. While steaks and burgers are grill favorites to celebrate Dad, consider finishing off your meal with a healthy grilled fruit dessert.
Fruits that are firm — not overripe — taste great on the grill. When fruit meets the flame, its sweet component allows for caramelization that produces complex flavors. Try grilling these fruits:
Check out these taste-tested grilled fruit dessert recipes:
- 2 bananas
- ½ cup unsweetened Greek yogurt
- 4 Tbsp chocolate chips
- 2 tsp honey
- Spray oil
Grilled Banana Dessert – Serves 4
1. Prepare bananas by cutting them in half and cutting the halves down the middle.
2. Spray grill grates and bananas with oil.
3. Place on a hot grill for 2-5 minutes on each side, or until grill marks and caramelization appear.
4. For each serving, top two pieces of banana (while warm) with 1 Tbsp chocolate chips, a dollop of Greek yogurt and a drizzle of honey.
- 1 pineapple
- ½ watermelon
- 1 Tbsp balsamic reduction for each serving
- Optional: ¼ cup of vanilla ice cream for each serving
Grilled Watermelon and Pineapple Skewers — Serves 4-6
1. Soak wooden skewers for at least 30 minutes or overnight in water.
2. Cut pineapple and watermelon into 1-inch cubes.
3. Spray grill and fruit with oil.
4. Grill for 2-5 minutes on each side, or until grill marks appear.
5. Serve skewer with 1 Tbsp balsamic reduction and optional ice cream.
- 4 peaches
- 4 oz plain goat cheese
- 4 basil leaves, chopped into long thin strips
- 4 tsp balsamic reduction
Grilled Peaches with Goat Cheese and Balsamic Drizzle – Serves 4
1. Cut ¼ inch slices from the sides of the peaches. Spray peaches and grill with olive oil.
2. Grill each side for 2-4 minutes, or until grill marks and caramelization appears.
3. For one serving, top two slices of peach with 1 oz goat cheese, 1 chopped basil leaf and 1 tsp balsamic reduction.