Michigan’s Best Summer Races
With summer on the horizon, running season is in full effect. Across Michigan, there are plenty of events springing up, from obstacle courses to qualifiers to compete in the Boston Marathon. Grab your running shoes and check out some of the state’s upcoming races.
- Riverfront Run – Detroit, MI – June 8: This race includes a 5K, 10K and virtual run option. All proceeds go toward the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy, which aims to preserve the riverfront for future generations.
- Kalamazoo Mud Run – Kalamazoo, MI – June 8: Want to power through 20 obstacles in a river of mud? If so, this is the race for you. The Kalamazoo Mud Run consists of four divisions: elite and open, which are for experienced runners, a team division and a kids’ run.
- Clio Can Do 5K Run/Walk – Clio, MI – June 22: This is a relaxing 5K with a scenic path in a wooded area. Plus, the route is mostly flat, making it a great trek for beginners. There’s also a kids fun run that allows children ages 10 and under to get in on the action.
- Reeds Lake Run – East Grand Rapids, MI – June 22: This race is accessible to everyone, including those with wheelchairs, handcycles and pets. Event categories are 5K and 10K runs, wheelchair and handcycles, a children’s run for kids ages three to 12 and a doggie dash.
- Charlevoix Marathon – Charlevoix, MI – June 22: A favorite among veterans, runners can choose from a 5K, 10K or full marathon. The event also has a high rate of qualifying times for the Boston Marathon, pushing you toward the next step in your running journey.
- Meijer Festival of Races – Traverse City, MI – July 6: As part of the National Cherry Festival, the Meijer Festival of Races offers a 5K, 10K, 15K and half marathon. The run ends in downtown Traverse City, where each participant is given celebratory cherries.
- Metro Way 5K/10K and Kids Races – Wyoming, MI – July 18: This race features a 5K, 10K and kids race for children ages three to 12. But the best part is runners have access to a training program to better prepare them for the event.
- Night Nation Run – Detroit, MI – July 27: The Night Nation Run allows you to enjoy a concert and road race, simultaneously. Its route is packed with DJs, lightshows and picture stations creating an experience that transcends a traditional run.
- Run IT 5K – Whitehall, MI – Aug. 3: The Run IT 5K showcases some of White Lake’s best locations. Runners of all ages and abilities join forces to participate in the festivities, which help support the local economy.
- Moose on the Loose Family Fun Run and 5K – Marquette, MI – Aug. 25: The Moose on the Loose offers a beautiful route along the forested Presque Isle. This family-friendly event is more than a run, it’s a fundraiser with proceeds used to protect northern Michigan’s moose population.
- Marquette Marathon and Half Marathon – Marquette, MI – Aug. 31: This course is another Boston Marathon qualifier, that also includes a 5K and children’s fun run. Both full and half marathon routes take the Iron Ore Heritage Trail, providing an excellent view of the landscape.
Plan on doing a run this summer? Tell us which one you’re most excited about.
If you enjoyed this post, you might also like:
- Your Ultimate Running Buddy
- How-to: Face Your Fear and Start Running
- Run Together: Benefits of Joining a Michigan Running Group
Photo credit: RUN 4 FFWPU