Kid-Friendly Quinoa Egg Bake
This quick and convenient breakfast recipe is great for moms who are on-the-go. Batch-prep this as a family and keep a week’s worth of this kid-friendly egg bake ready in the fridge for busy mornings when everyone is running out the door.
The quinoa adds fiber, protein and texture that pairs perfectly with the acidity and juiciness of the tomato.
There is always room for variety in this recipe. Take your favorite omelet toppings and mix and match from week to week to explore different flavors and keep the dish exciting.
Photo credit: A Healthier Michigan
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained well
- 5 eggs
- 6 egg whites (or you can use 8-10 eggs total)
- 1 ½ cups of milk of your choice
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. chopped chives
- 1 Tbsp. chopped basil leaves
- 1 ½ cups kale or spinach, roughly chopped
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese or other cheese variety of your choice
Quinoa Egg Bake
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use cooking spray to coat 9x9 baking dish
2. In a large bowl, mix eggs, milk, garlic, salt, pepper, basil, chives and quinoa. Then stir in spinach and tomatoes
3. Pour entire mixture in prepared dish
4. Cover tightly with foil and gently shake so that the quinoa settles to the bottom of the pan evenly. Once cooked the quinoa will almost be like a crust.
5. Bake for about 45 minutes, so it just sets.
6. Remove the foil and sprinkle the cheese evenly on top. Bake uncovered until the cheese melts, may wish to bake longer for a golden and crisp cheese topping. 8-15 minutes.
7. Cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!