#WellnessWeds: 4 Workouts Likely to be Popular in 2012
I love hearing about new workouts and exercises that people are doing. Variety is the spice of life and your workout routine is no exception.
As I have mentioned in previous blogs, our bodies are smart and efficient machines that constantly need to be challenged to work at its fullest potential.
Whether you are looking for a new workout or just getting started, here are my predictions of popular workouts for 2012:
- Celebrity Workouts — Ladies: want abs like Jessica Alba and a booty like Jennifer Lopez? Guys: Want to look like Mark Wahlberg and Brad Pitt (need I say more)? Whatever celebrity body part you loath, celebrity workouts are becoming more and more popular.
- Treadmill/Strength Training Workout — Since I have a treadmill and love interval training, I was thinking about how I could incorporate the two to save time. This is what I came up with. This strength training workout can also be incorporated while riding a stationary bike, swimming, running, etc.:
- Start with a 5-minute warmup on the treadmill
- Get off the treadmill and do 12 repetitions of squats
- Power walk for 3 minutes (advanced: incline 4%-6%)
- Perform 12 repetitions of pushups
- Power walk for 3 minutes
- Hold a plank for 30-60 seconds or do 12 repetitions of sit-ups
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 three more times incorporating and rotating your favorite strength training moves
- Racing in the Mud — Also know as “Tough Mudders,” if you don’t mind getting dirty, these races are for you. These types of races vary, but the jist is running through an obstacle course in the mud (about the distance of a 5K, although I am sure some race distances vary). If this sounds like fun to you, you can check out a couple in Michigan this year:
- Working out with Your Dog — This has become more popular the past couple of years, especially since our pets are becoming overweight with us! What a better way to spend time than by getting exercise with your furry friend (our dogs will benefit from the exercise too). Here are some ways you can incorporate exercise with your four-legged family member:
- Throwing the ball or Frisbee
Check out these Michigan Dog Parks.
Whether or not you want to start one of these popular exercise routines in 2012, the most important thing to do is to stay active and remember to change your routine from time to time to keep your body guessing!
Do you have any predictions of a popular workout for 2012? Let me know if you try any of my predictions!
Photo credit: Presidio of Monterey: DLIFLC & USAG