The Concealed Truth: What Your Makeup is Made Of
| 3 min read
- Arsenic: Arsenic has been found in many skin care products as it is an impurity from some of the ingredients used in the cosmetic products. It can cause dermatological problems throughout the body and is a developmental toxin. It is believed to be a carcinogen, though no long-term studies have been conducted.
- Formaldehyde: Formaldehyde is found in body and hair washes and soaps. It is known to cause skin irritation and respiratory problems.
- Fragrance: The International Fragrance Association lists over 3,000 compounds that make up fragrances. Labels only require companies to disclose fragrance as an ingredient, however consumers don’t know what makes up that “fragrance”. Fragrances can cause a wide range of problems based on what the scent is made of. The FDA does regulate the use of fragrances, but the regulations vary based on what the product’s intended use is.
- Oxybenzone: Oxybenzone is known for absorbing UV rays. While it may protect against the sun, it’s been linked to skin irritation, allergies and hormone disruption. The FDA limits its use to less than 6% in skin care products.
- Synthetic colors: The different color products may be pleasing to the eye, but not your body. Synthetic colors are made from petroleum and coal Some have been shown to be carcinogenic and are not approved by the FDA.