April is Alcoholism Awareness Month: The costs associated with alcoholism
| 2 min read
- Heart: can cause stretching and drooping of heart muscle, irregular heart beat, stroke and high blood pressure
- Brain: impacts mood and behavior
- Liver:fatty liver, alcoholic hepatitis, fibrosis and cirrhosis
- Pancreas:drinking causesthe pancreas to produce toxic substances that can eventually lead to pancreatitis
- Cancer: drinking too much alcohol can increase your risk of developing certain cancers such as mouth, esophagus, throat, liver and breast
- Personality changes
- Compulsive behaviors
- Alcohol use is a factor in 40 percent of all convicted murders.
- The US Department of Justice estimates that the majority of criminal offenders were under the influence of alcohol alone while committing their crimes.
- About 3 million violent crimes are committed every year where the victim believes the offender was drunk.