Your Guide to Visiting Frankenmuth
| 3 min read
A small weekend getaway can be the perfect way to relax anytime of the year. Frankenmuth is the perfect city for a weekend trip, whether it’s with the whole family, some friends or your significant other.
Here are some ideas to help you plan your own little getaway to Frankenmuth.
- Immerse Yourself in the Culture. Known as Michigan’s “Little Bavaria”, Frankenmuth offers the feel of a German town without the international travel. Take a ride on the Bavarian Belle Riverboat to experience a one-hour historical tour of the area or take a step back in time at the Frankenmuth Historical Museum. Military and space history buffs will enjoy visiting Michigan’s Military and Space Heroes Museum. The museum houses artifacts focusing on the men and women of Michigan who experienced America’s seven foreign wars.
- Eat and Drink. One of the easiest ways to experience the German culture is through their food and drinks. Frankenmuth is known for its chicken dinners, which are offered at two popular restaurants – Zehnder’s and Bavarian Inn. Both restaurants offer family-style chicken dinners and German dishes. If you are looking for a place to grab a drink, then visit America’s oldest microbrewery, the Frankenmuth Brewery. You can enjoy up to 36 beers on tap, which are all produced in-house. When it’s time for dessert you can head into town to the different fudge and candy stores to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Excursions for Everyone. Frankenmuth has plenty of extra things to do to keep you and your travel partners busy. Visit the World’s Largest Christmas Store, Bronner’s, to celebrate Christmas any time of the year. You can keep the kids entertained at Zehnder’s Splash Village with their indoor water park, hotel and golf course. If you’re more of a thrill seeker, the Frankenmuth Aerial Park offers a ropes course and zip lines that stretch through a wooded area to get your adrenaline pumping. After a long day, you can even take a carriage ride through town.
- Shop Until You Drop. The entire city of Frankenmuth is filled with little shops selling items to make anyone in your family happy. One of the most popular places to shop is the Frankenmuth River Place, which offers over 40 unique shops and attractions. If you need to take a small break from all the shopping, the River Place has attractions such as the Ultimate Mirror Maze and a game room. The Bavarian Inn also offers various stores in its Castle Shops, such as The Chocolate Shop and the Doll & Toy Shop. The city has over 100 unique shops and boutiques, making it easy to find them no matter where you go.
- Festival Time. If you can’t decide when to visit Frankenmuth, looking at their calendar of festivals could help. The city hosts festivals for nearly every type of celebration including the Summer Music Fest, the Frankenmuth Auto Fest, Oktoberfest and the Ice Sculpture Festival. Check out their calendar of events and festivals to find the perfect one for your trip.
Are you a Frankenmuth fan? Tell us your favorite places to visit in the comments.
If you liked this post, you might also enjoy:
Photo Credit: Christopher Woodrich