This vegetarian adaptation of the beloved buffalo chicken dip features heart healthy hummus. Use your favorite veggie dippers to scoop up this crowd-pleaser.
- 2 cans (15-ounce) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4 Tbsp. hot sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot, or more to taste
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. feta cheese, divided
- 1 cup of tahini
- ~1/4 cup or more of ice water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- Add chickpeas and baking soda to a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, allowing it to boil for about 20 minutes. Drain chickpeas in a strainer, then pour cold water over them. Remove any excess peels.
- While chickpeas are boiling, combine lemon juice and garlic in a food processor or blender until well incorporated. Add tahini and hot sauce and blend until creamy. While the food processor or blender is running, add ice water. Finally, add the chickpeas, one-quarter cup of feta cheese and olive oil and blend until smooth, occasionally scraping down the sides of the blender. Add more water if needed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Taste and add more hot sauce if needed.
- Add hummus to a serving bowl and top with Roma tomatoes, pickled jalapenos, 2 tablespoons feta cheese and chopped green onions. Serve with your favorite dinners.