In this copycat recipe, the fast-food Mexican Pizza is given a healthy twist. Rather than frying tortillas, this recipe bakes them to crispy perfection using only spray oil. Using pantry spices to make a homemade taco seasoning cuts down on the sodium found in many store-bought options. For added freshness and nutrients, serve the pizza with cilantro and shredded romaine.
- 8 ounces of lean ground beef, chicken or turkey
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- Taco seasoning:
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp. ground paprika
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 soft street-style flour tortillas
- Spray oil
- 1/2 cup refried beans, canned
- ¼ cup taco sauce
- ¼ cup shredded cheese, such as a 4-cheese Mexican blend
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- Optional – 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- Optional – ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground meat, breaking it up with with a cooking utensil such as a wooden spoon while cooking. Cook the meat until browned and fully cooked.
- Drain any excess grease from the skillet. Return to the skillet and reduce the heat to low.
- In a small bowl, make taco seasoning by mixing together the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, and salt and pepper.
- Add tomato sauce and taco seasoning to the skillet. Stir together until the meat is coated in the sauce and the seasoning.
- Allow mixture to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once the oven has preheated, prepare a lined sheet pan. Add flour tortillas and spray with spray oil on each side.
- Allow tortillas to bake for 5-10 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from oven once crispy. Be careful not to let them burn (individual ovens vary).
- Prepare Mexican pizza by spreading 2 tablespoons of refried beans onto a crispy tortilla. Add 2 ounces of seasoned ground beef followed by the second crispy tortilla. Top with 1 tablespoon taco sauce and 1 tablespoon shredded cheese. Return pizza to the oven until cheese is melted. Top pizza with diced tomatoes and cilantro. Serve with shredded lettuce if desired.