Men vs. Women: Why Do They Lose Weight Differently?
It’s a common question: Do men lose weight faster than women? And if so, why?
The short answer to the first question is yes. And it all comes down to biology. Men tend to naturally have more lean muscle as part of their body composition (more muscle = higher metabolism = burns more calories throughout the day), Women, on the other hand have more body fat (about six to 11 percent more than men). This is thought to be from an evolutionary adaption to benefit women while they’re pregnant. Men also tend to build muscle mass faster due to the fact that they have more testosterone than women.
What kind of an impact does that have? In a British Journal of Nutrition study, men lost twice as much weight and three times as much body fat after two months on a commercial weight loss program compared to women following the same plan. Men also typically lose fat in their mid-section, making their early weight loss success even more obvious.
Don’t despair, though. Women will see results as well—it can just take a little longer. Regardless of gender, losing weight can be a little easier if you keep a few tips in mind:
- Start strength training: Build more muscle mass and decrease fat stores by strength training at least twice a week. Muscle burns more calories than fat, even when at rest.
- Build a Structure of Healthy Food at Home: Get your family or significant other in on your goals and avoid buying foods that have empty calories at the grocery store. At home, put healthy foods out so you can see them, like in a fruit bowl.
- Maintain a positive attitude: Stop comparing your weight-loss journey to others around you. The road to a healthy weight is personal and shouldn’t be controlled by outside factors. Reducing stress is also beneficial to aid in a healthy lifestyle and your weight loss journey.
- Get your sleep: A sleep-deprived brain is likelier to make bad decisions. Make sure you’re getting at least seven to eight hours of sleep per night so you keep making healthy choices.
- TikTok Fact Check: Chia Seed Water
- Male Life Expectancy: How Men Can Add Years to Their Lives
- How to Break the Cycle of Chronic Stress
Photo credit: Rawpixel