5 Superfood Pairings That Work Better Together
You can probably name a few superfoods off the top of your head: apples, salmon, even coffee. But as great as superfoods are alone, did you know they can be even more powerful when paired? Combining foods with certain vitamins and nutrients can seriously improve bodily functions like vision, immunity and heart health. Here are a couple easy combinations of superfoods that are surefire ways to boost your health:
- Nuts or nut butter with fruit: The Vitamin E found in peanuts or almonds (or almond butter or peanut butter!) makes for a yummy, powerful combination when paired with Vitamin C packed fruits like strawberries, oranges, kiwi, or guava. Make a sandwich using these flavors for an easy way to keep your eyesight sharp or fight off illness.
- Dairy or dark greens with fish: This one sounds like an unlikely pairing, but the combination of calcium (found in dairy products like milk, yogurt and cheese) and Vitamin D can help make your bones significantly stronger. Try making salmon on a bed of kale or a light tuna melt with low-fat cheese.
- Orange veggies with healthy oil or avocado: Fresh orange produce like carrots and sweet potatoes contain Beta-Carotene that, in conjunction with Vitamin A and healthy fats, work wonders for your skin. Sweet potatoes roasted with olive oil or carrots dipped in guacamole make delicious, healthy snacks too.
- Whole grains with garlic or onions: If you’re prone to colds or the flu, building up a healthy immune system is a must. The zinc found in brown rice, whole grain bread and legumes can majorly boost your immunity when paired with sulfur compounded foods like onions and garlic. Brown rice with natural onion or garlic is an easy way to make this combo work as a main dish or side.
- Green veggies with nuts: Dark greens like spinach, swiss chard, broccoli, cabbage and Brussel sprouts all contain Vitamin K which, when matched with the healthy fat found in nuts like almonds, walnuts and cashews, sets you on the track for good heart health and better blood flow.
- 5 Michigan Superfoods We Love
- 10 Superfoods that Help Prevent Memory Loss
- It’s a bird. It’s a plane. It’s a…superfood?
Photo credit: Getty