MI Sporting Events to Inspire You in February
February may be the shortest month of the year, but it tends to feel like the longest. It’s cold, dark and let’s be honest: we’re all just waiting for the weather to turn to spring.
While we can’t change the weather, we can choose to make the most of it. In fact, there are plenty of events all around the state that are both unique and fun to take part in.
• Man V. Mountain 5K in Mount Pleasant, Saturday, Feb. 1, 2020: Whether you’re an avid runner, or just looking for a fun winter activity, this course is perfect for you. The Man v. Mountain 5k is an outdoor obstacle course that challenges you to have fun while completing a full 5K.
• Full Moon Snowshoe Hike in Grayling, Sunday, Feb. 2, 2020: This special event is a guided two-mile trek on unbroken snow. All ages and skill levels are welcome.
• Try-athlon at Muskegon Winter Sports Complex, Sunday, Feb. 2, 2020: This try-athlon combines three winter sports: luge, ice speed skating and cross-country skiing. The event is open to all ages and abilities. The event will provide a short clinic beforehand to teach you everything your need to know.
• Michigan Senior Olympics in Troy, Feb. 5 – 23, 2020: Age is only a number. Registration is closed for this event, but head over to Troy to cheer on competitors 50+ as the take part in ice hockey, bocce ball and more. You might just get the itch to compete in MSO’s summer events!
• VASA Festival of Races in Traverse City, Feb. 8-9, 2020: There’s something for everyone at these races. Fat tire biking, snowshoeing and skiing are just some of the things you can look forward to this year. Grab a friend or family member and head over for a weekend’s worth of competitive and social events.
• Human Hungry Hungry Hippos on Ice in Grand Rapids, Sunday, Feb. 9, 2020: Did you love playing Hungry Hungry Hippos when you were a kid? Now’s your chance to become one of those hippos yourself! Grab some friends and propel across the ice in a snow tube to get the most “food” for your team.
• World of Winter Guided Walking Tour of Ice Sculptures in Grand Rapids, Sunday, Feb. 16, 2020: It’s no secret that the ice sculptures crafted each year for this event are true works of art. Make sure you don’t miss any of them by taking this one-hour walking tour through downtown Grand Rapids to see every one.
• Junior Muffin Race in Roscommon, Sunday, Feb. 23, 2020: This is the longest-standing junior skiing race in Michigan. Get a group together and register for the group freestyle relay 5K.
Embrace the winter weather and remember that spring is just a few weeks away!
Have you attended any of these events? How did you like it?
You may also enjoy:
- How to Start Ice Climbing in Michigan
- Best Ways to Burn Calories Outdoors this Winter
- Celebrate Winter at these Michigan Festivals
Photo credit: A Healthier Michigan