Michigan November Bucket List: 10 Ways to Embrace the Season
It’s November, and that usually calls for curling up on the couch and watching the snow while enjoying some mashed potatoes and gravy. Before it gets too hectic with the holidays around the corner, Michigan offers so many fun November activities and opportunities to get outside.
Here’s what’s on our bucket list for the month:
- Kick off a healthy holiday season by signing up for and training for a turkey trot race. These races usually occur on Thanksgiving Day and are a great way to kickstart your metabolism so your body can burn off all the calories you will eat later.
- Is there a bad time of year for a little mid-week taco night? (The answer is no.) Wednesday, Nov. 14 is National Spicy Guacamole Day, so whip up our healthier guacamole recipe to celebrate and add some kick with jalapenos, paprika or chili powder.
- This month, start some healthy habits to reduce your risk of diabetes. November is Diabetes Awareness Month, and over 25.8 million Americans deal with this disease. Some healthy habits include being mindful while eating, exercising 30 minutes per day and eating a healthy diet.
- Cheer on the Lions at Ford field. Enter your kids in the #MIKidsCan Turkey Day VIP Sweepstakes for a chance to win a special prize package that includes a chance for your child to join the Lions on the field.
- Rake some leaves. Don’t let the falling leaves persuade you to stay on the couch this autumn! Get outside and enjoy some physical activity, including taking a brisk walk or creating a leaf pile.
- Watch a parade. Whether it’s the Art Van Parade in Detroit, or a local Thanksgiving parade, watching is always a great way to spend time with friends and family.
- Keep a journal. Journaling is a great way to reflect on the hustle and bustle of your everyday life and can help reduce stress. You can use a journal to write down your goals, unload your thoughts and concerns and focus on gratitude – your options are endless!
- Glide along on ice at your local skating rink! Check out the website before you go to view open skate times. Most ice rinks let you rent skates and have chairs to take onto the ice to assist with balance for beginners.
- Go on a weekend getaway to the Alpena area. Visit the dinosaur gardens, the Besser Museum for Northeast Michigan, the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary and catch the relaxed vibe of downtown Alpena full of antique shops. On top of all these options, the local lighthouses on top of the frozen water encased in snow are a sight to see!
- Up your side dish game this Thanksgiving. Incorporate some healthy side dishes into your dinners throughout the month and bring your favorite to the big feast. That way, you’ll be sure to have at least one healthy dish you can load your plate up with. Try roasted vegetable salad with green goddess dressing, Tuscan green bean salad or butternut squash soup. Find more recipes here.
If you liked this post, check out:
Photo credit: Shriram Patki