6 Things Everyone Should Do in Their Sixties
Your sixties—and the decades that follow—can be some of the best years of your life. You’ve retired (or are wrapping up your career), your kids have moved out of the house and are starting lives of their own and you can finally focus on doing things that make you happy. At a loss for what to actually do? Start with these six actions that will help you make the most of this time:
- Go on an adventure. Everybody has had a dream trip lingering in the back of their head, so take the first step towards making it happen. See the city you’ve fantasized about, hike the mountain you’ve always wanted to get to the top of or go swimming with dolphins. Don’t promise yourself you’ll do those things “someday,” do them now.
- Create a vision for your next 20 years. How do you want to enjoy retirement? Write down some goals and be specific! Think about what you want to accomplish with the free time on your hands, like traveling or learning Italian.
- Live a healthier lifestyle. It’s never too late to benefit from making your health a priority. If you pushed exercise to the back burner because of work, give biking or swimming a shot. If you never prepared healthy meals because you didn’t know how, sign up for a healthy cooking class to revamp your meals.
- Learn about your family history. Understanding the generations that came before you can teach you a lot about the adversity that your family member may have overcome and make you feel proud about your roots.
- Spend time with those you love. Use your sixties to reconnect with those you might have lost contact with and to nurture other important relationships. Give someone a call, write an email and set aside time to visit with friends, neighbors, family members and old colleagues.
- Embrace aging. Think positively about getting older by focusing on what you gain—wisdom, perspective, patience and more time to spend doing what you love. Celebrate every birthday, anniversary or milestone and be thankful for all you have.
What else would you add to the list? Let us know in the comments below! And for more advice about living every day to its fullest, check out these other blogs:
- 3 Ways to Make the Most of Your Retirement
- 10 Ways to Protect Your Bones
- Are You a Snowbird? Take these Steps Before Leaving for the Winter to Protect Your Home
Photo credit: Paul Schultz