25 Reasons to Be Happy You Live in Michigan During the Summer
Michigan is a great place to live, work and play year-round, but summer truly brings out the best the state has to offer. From waterways to roadways, bare bluffs to bike paths, Michigan summers make our crisp falls and frigid winters worthwhile. Here are 25 fun things to add to your to-do list for the next few months—see how many you can fit in before fall!
- Enjoy a scenic view from Bare Bluff in the Keweenaw Peninsula.
- Start the day with a sunrise (or end it with a sunset) on the lake. Choose any lake in the state or head to some of Michigan’s 2,147 miles of Great Lakes shoreline!
- Bike through Copper Harbor.
- Throw a campfire under the stars up north.
- Zipline in Boyne Falls.
- Hike the Porcupine Mountains.
- Enjoy homemade Michigan ice cream, especially from Michigan State University’s Dairy Store.
- Go blueberry picking in South Haven.
- Climb one of the oldest lookout points in the state near St. Ignace, Castle Rock.
- Kayak in the thumb.
- Guzzle local beer and great food at west Michigan breweries like Short’s, Bell’s and Founders.
- Search for Petoskey stones on the beach in Petoskey.
- Sing and dance at summer concert festivals like Faster Horses, Mo Pop Festival, Detroit Jazz Festival and Arts, Beats and Eats.
- Watch summer storms roll in.
- Lounge on the longest front porch in the world at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island.
- Take a thrill ride at Michigan’s Adventure.
- Explore the many waterfalls of Munising.
- Feel the sand between your toes at the Silver Lake or Sleeping Bear dunes.
- Chow down at Caseville’s Cheeseburger Festival.
- Skydive in Tecumseh (for the brave of heart!).
- Shop your local farmer’s market or outdoor mall.
- Enjoy a race at the Michigan International Speedway.
- Search for Agate stones along Lake Superior’s shoreline.
- Witness a roller derby battle in Detroit.
- Hear the engines roar at the Woodward Dream Cruise.
And don’t stop there. For even more reasons to love living in Michigan, check out these posts:
- The Ultimate Michigan Bucket List for 2015
- Eight Parks, Forests, Lakes and Beaches for Summer Camping
- Top Five Reasons to Try Golf in Michigan This Summer
Photo credit: Ken Bosma